English Bowls Federation Statement 9 March21:


Outdoor Season 2021.


Latest Corona virus Update

Here is the latest information about returning to Bowls. However, you will see from the document that the Government will be putting out more details during the week commencing  21st March.

I have been asked many questions regarding the re-opening of Bowls Clubs, mainly if there will be any additional Government advice with regard to the use of clubhouses and hospitality pre May 17th and before June 21st; travelling to matches, social distancing before and after May 17th and the wearing of face masks?

With this in mind, I have been speaking to the Bowls Development Alliance about the re-opening of Bowls.

They are in contact with the Government’s Department of Culture, Media and Sport and have confirmed that the government will be updating the policy of what is required by our Bowls clubs, week commencing the 21st March.

It is expected that certain conditions will have to be met before and during the season, this may be in line with what they laid down for the 2020 season, although at this stage it is only speculation and we will have to wait until the week beginning the 21st March to find out the full details of what is required.

As stated previously formally organised sport can take place from 29th March but this will be restricted by the rule of 6 until the 17th May from then onwards 30 people will be able to congregate together meaning that all local league matches and County championships should be able play. I will contact everyone as soon as I have the information from the Bowls Development Alliance, although hopefully we will be able to commence this season there will still be restrictions in place.

County Matches
Thank you for all your replies regarding playing team events this coming year.

We have had responses from the majority of Counties regarding the playing of County team games this year, 91% of ladies have asked us to cancel all the games this year. The men were slightly less with 71% asking for the games to be cancelled.

We have had the following suggestions from some of the men’s counties i.e. playing home and away, waiting until June 21st then playing every week from then onwards. The final suggestion is to play it as a knockout competition over 2 weekends.

A decision on all County games including the under 25s will be made following the Government’s announcement week commencing 21st March on the guidance on what we will be able to do, i.e. travelling, social distancing, wearing of face masks etc.

Kind Regards
Dave Woods
E.B.F. National Secretary